Last Thursday, I turned 27 and I found it to be such an ‘odd’ age. You know, being in the middle of 25 and 30, two major age milestones especially for women? At 25, women are said to be in their ‘prime’ and at 30, thought to have crossed the ‘borderline’. But I believe we can be as young or old as we feel. In fact, considering my priorities right now, I still feel like a kid but with the responsibilities of a 30-year old. And when you’ve got this mentality, it can be pretty hard to keep track of your REAL age. So let me celebrate and remember turning 27 by sharing 27 random things about me:
1. I tip-toe whenever I climb the stairs. I don’t know why, when and how I got the habit. But it helps firm the legs and the butt, ha!
2. I have slight directional dyslexia. I usually have to raise my hand and make a scribbling gesture in the air to know which is my right hand.
3. I have a weird habit of always leaving one bite of sandwich on my plate and if you force me to take it, I’ll feel like choking.
4. I used to have lots of rabbits and cats when I was a kid. I think I had almost 20 rabbits at one point!
5. I almost became an actress as a child but my father was very much against it. I’m glad I didn’t because I don’t think I’m meant for all the glitz.
6. The theme song “If We Hold On Together” from “The Land Before Time” animated film used to make me cry as a kid.
7. I’ve been underweight my entire life.
8. When I say my memory is bad, I’m seriously not kidding.
9. I wanted to be a theater actress when I was younger and have always loved performing on stage.
10. I still like to play like a kid– so if you see a twiggly figure finding her way through the monkey bars at the neighborhood playground, that’s probably me. Cartoons, books for kids, colorful and sweet candy treats and toy stores still excite me.
11. I suck at sports that involve running because I’m cross-legged. When you see my knees pointing towards each other, I can assure you I’m not trying to act cute.
12. I used to be an ‘experimental’ dresser. I was the type of fashionista who had a Gothic Monday, Beach Babe Wednesday and Whatever Goes Friday. I’ve subdued a lot through the years.
13. There was a time when I felt like puking whenever I was forced to wear tight and dark-colored t-shirts. The neckline made me feel stifled.
14. As I grew older, I became extremely shy and unfortunately not so sociable. If I ever get to meet you in person, in any random event, please don’t think I’m a snob. I’m just usually too shy to initiate conversations. I can be pretty awkward, too.
15. I’m so shy that sometimes, the prospect of meeting a new person gives me shivers and makes me hyperventilate. No kidding!
16. BUT I can be very, extremely, annoyingly talkative once I get to know a person well or when I feel comfortable towards somebody.
17. I believe a lot in instinct, intuition and fate.
18. I used to be able to learn languages quite fast (and forget them thrice as fast). I learned spoken Spanish when I was a kid, then conversational Japanese and Persyan a few years back. I used to be able to read and write in Persyan. I can’t speak any of those languages now.
19. I love to sing in the shower or while washing dishes. I usually complete 4-5 songs while bathing.
20. I am easily startled so please approach and tap my shoulders with caution. And under no amount of begging from me should you agree to watch horror movies with me.
21. I was almost 2 years old when I learned how to walk. But I was speaking fluently before I turned 1.
22. I love cats and since it’s still not convenient for me to have a cat now, I collect cat-themed accessories instead.
23. I have a soft spot for old folks. I cry easily when I see them crying or suffering. Not that I don’t care about younger people, it’s just an emotional vulnerability for me.
24. I would love to experience being an Arts and Crafts teacher for kids.
25. When I was 11, I almost got hit by a huge truck while trying to save a kitten.
26. I used to have a ‘green thumb’. Everything I planted survived. I got this gift from my Dad.
27. One of my wishes is to be able to work less and blog more regularly in the future.
To my future self: I know you’ve had the memory of an 80-year old ever since you were 18. But please remember that save for having a few more fine lines this year, it felt great turning 27.